Skip to Main Content

Free and Low-Cost Legal Resources in Utah

ALIGHT (Alliance to Lead Impact in Global Human Trafficking)

  • Free legal resources available to survivors of human trafficking who are in need of legal help and do not have the finances to obtain it. It is based in Colorado, but will attempt to match services with people across the US.
  • More information on their website:

Aging and Adult Protective Services

  • 1-800-371-7897
  • This hotline phone number provides support and investigates reports of abuse, neglect, and exploitation of vulnerable adults (such as the elderly or mentally handicapped.) The website are hotline phone number are Utah-specific.
  • The website also has a 24/7 online abuse reporting form.

American Civil Liberties Union (ACLU) of Utah

  • 355 N. 300 W., Salt Lake City
  • 801-521-9862
  • The ACLU of Utah accepts civil liberty complaints and requests for assistance. However, they do not accept walk-in appointments or answer legal questions over the phone. You may call them and request an information packet that includes a form to fill out for the ACLU of Utah to review your issue, or you can visit the website listed to fill out the form online. Because the ACLU's process, which process determines if they can assist you, will likely take six weeks or more, the ACLU recommends that you contact an attorney or other legal service for more pressing matters or emergency situations.

American Indian Legal Clinic

This clinic is run by the University of Utah’s pro bono program. They take questions relating to the Indian Child Welfare Act, tribal land and family claim issues. The program is only offered once per semester, virtually. For more information, email

Attorney Websites

  • Attorneys sometimes provide free consultations and/or free legal representation according to their schedules and commitments. As a last resort, you could try contacting local attorneys directly through the information on their websites to see if they would be willing to take on a "pro bono" client (meaning, a client that the attorney does not charge). Also, some attorneys have contracts, called contingency fee contracts, that essentially state that the client owes the attorney nothing unless the client wins his/her case. If the client wins, then the attorney takes a portion of the amount awarded. These types of contracts are almost exclusively only available in personal injury or defective product cases.

BYU Center for Peace and Conflict Resolution

  • Brigham Young University, 4412 WSC, Provo
  • 801-422-5068 (no voicemail option)
  • This center provides conflict resolution for any issue if you are a BYU student. If you are not a BYU student, then you may only use these services if you live in BYU-approved housing and your issue involves a landlord-tenant dispute. The center also offers community services on a case-by-case basis and gives referrals to people it cannot assist. The center is open from 10:00am–3:00pm Monday through Thursday, but closed Tuesdays from 10:45–12:15 for BYU devotionals. The center has a variety of resources to assist BYU students stuck in conflict, including information about consultations, mediation, arbitration, and recommended reading. For anyone living in BYU-approved housing, any landlord-tenant disputes must be resolved through the center's mediation and/or arbitration programs. The center offers in-person and remote appointments.

BYU Community Legal Clinic

  • Wilkinson Center Room 2400 at BYU, Provo, Utah
  • The BYU Community Legal Clinic is run by law professors and law students at BYU Law School. It is held from 5:00pm–7:00pm on Thursdays. Walk-ins are welcome, but it is recommended that individuals email and make an appointment. The Clinic mainly helps with immigration issues, but is willing to hear about any legal issue and may refer people to other organizations or attorneys if the Clinic cannot help. Family law matters will always be referred to Timpanogos Legal Center. The Clinic will only help those who are considered to have low or modest means. The Clinic is closed on holidays and during BYU Law School student breaks and finals, as well as in the summer. Contact or check the Facebook page "BYU Community Legal Clinic" ( for inquiries regarding a specific date.

BYU Law Mediation Clinic

  • BYU Law School
  • 801-369-0320 (Professor LeeAnn Glade)
  • (Professor LeeAnn Glade)
  • This clinic deals primarily with general conflict resolution, but it also handles small claims and other issues. The Small Claims Mediation is a subset of this clinic. They accept all requests, except the occasional few that are too complex. Call Professor LeeAnn Glade, and she will give your name and phone number to a student who will then contact you to set up a time. The mediations usually take place at BYU Law School. For claims that have already been filed, the clinic also handles mediations in most courts in Utah County, Wasatch County, and a couple of courts in Salt Lake County. 

Catholic Community Services Immigration Program

  • 224 North 2200 West Salt Lake City, Utah 84116
  • 801-977-9119 (then dial "3")
  • Consultations by appointment Monday through Friday. Call between 8:30am–5:00pm to schedule an appointment. (The office is closed from 12:00pm–1:00pm.) Legal staff are available to help answer questions and assist in the following areas: filing for permanent residence, U.S. citizenship, and family petition visas, or applications for renewal of identity documents. They can also assist with refugees or immigrants in deportation proceedings.
  • Languages: English, Italian, Somali, Spanish.

Centro Hispano/Community Law Help for Immigrants

  • 650 W. 100 N., Provo
  • 801-655-0258
  • Centro Hispano's mission is to help empower Hispanics to have equal access to the information and resources they need in order to strengthen individuals, families, and communities through education and skill-building activities.
  • Centro Hispano provides bilingual services to Hispanic community members. We offer services such as walk-in consultations for information and referrals, free adult education classes, legal assessments (mostly limited to immigration family petitions and domestic violence), low-income tax payer assistance, and health promotion and wellness activities.  
  • They also may have a representative who is at the Utah County Family Justice Center on Tuesday nights. It is recommended that you see the representative at the Utah County Family Justice Center, rather than at the Centro Hispano building, if you require legal assistance.

Immigration Law: University of Utah Pro Bono Initiative

  • 801-581-5418 (number for S.J. Quinney Pro Bono Initiative)
  • Email:
  • Part of the SJ Quinney Law School Pro Bono Initiative. Answers questions about humanitarian and family-based immigration. Can answer questions on citizenship, status, deportation and visas. However, they are unable to answer questions on employment or education based visas.. This program takes place in the computer lab at SLCC West Valley Center, located at 3460 S 5600 W, West Valley City. Typically occurs on the 4th Wednesday of each month. See website for calendar and more information.

Crime Victims Legal Clinic

  • 404 E 4500 S Suite B 24, Murray, UT 84107
  • 801-746-1204
  • This clinic provides free legal representation for crime victims whose rights are at stake. They have Spanish speakers available and are able to help out with civil orders of protection (only if conflicted out from Utah Legal Services or Legal Aid Society of Salt Lake). Free legal representation and advocacy for victims of crimes.

Debtor's Law: University of Utah Pro Bono Initiative

  • Horizonte Instruction & Training Center, 1234 S. Main St., Salt Lake City
  • 801-581-5418 (number for S.J. Quinney Pro Bono Initiative)
  • Part of the SJ Quinney Law School Pro Bono Initiative. Answers questions about bankruptcy, collections and credit issues. Typically occurs in-person every third Tuesday of the month. Located at the Horizonte. Their website and calendar has more information for in-person clinics. There are also limited online appointments available, email for information. 

Disability Law Center

  • 960 South Main Street, Salt Lake City 
  • 1-800-662-9080
  • Calls Accepted: Monday through Thursday 9:00am–4:00pm, and Friday 9:00am-1:00pm.
  • The Center no longer accepts walk-ins, but you can stop by their offices to fill out the intake paperwork, or complete it online or via phone using the information given above. This center provides services to people suffering discrimination due to a disability. Examples of discrimination include the following: abuse, neglect, accessibility, assistive technology, civil rights, community living, education, health care, housing, transportation, and voting rights. "Disability" is broadly defined to include developmental, physical, intellectual, learning, or sensory disabilities, as well as mental illnesses, emotional impairments, traumatic brain injuries, or chronic health conditions.

Elder Law Program

  • Utah Legal Services, 960 S. Main Street Salt Lake City
  • 801-328-8891
  • This program provides assistance on any topic to seniors ages 60 years or older living in Utah. Call to submit your information. The program will ask for information on your income to see if you qualify for additional legal services, but you are not required to give the information. Intake hours are from 9:00am–2:00pm Monday through Friday. You can also apply for help on their website (above).

Employer Support of The Guard and Reserve (ESGR)

  • 12953 South Minuteman Drive Draper, UT 84020
  • (801) 432-4492
  • ESGR is a Department of Defense unit that promotes employer support for Guard and Reserve service by advocating for relevant initiatives, recognizing outstanding support, increasing awareness of applicable laws, and resolving conflicts between employers and service members. ESGR educates the service members and their civilian employers in regard to their rights and responsibilities governed by USERRA (the Uniformed Services Employment and Reemployment Rights Act.
  • Monday - Thursday, 7am-5pmCalling the number at the above times gets one in touch with Danielle, who will either direct one to the hotline number or another representative to discuss legal issues.

Expungement & Justice Law: University of Utah Pro Bono Initiative

  • Part of the SJ Quinney Law School Pro Bono Initiative. Answers questions about expungements and procedural issues regarding outstanding warrants or misdemeanor offenses. Requires that interested individuals call Utah Legal Services to determine if they qualify for an expungement first. There is an in-person clinic that usually occurs on the first Thursday of the month. More information can be found on their website. 

Family Law: University of Utah Pro Bono Initiative

  • Part of the SJ Quinney Law School Pro Bono Initiative. Answers questions about expungements and procedural issues regarding outstanding warrants or misdemeanor offenses. Requires that interested individuals call Utah Legal Services to determine if they qualify for an expungement first. There is an in-person clinic that usually occurs on the first Thursday of the month. More information can be found on their website. 

Guardianship and Advocacy Providers

  • Cedar Hills, UT
  • 801-785-1629
  • The phone number is a home phone number, so simply explain that you are looking for help with guardianship, and you will be directed to the right person to help you. This person can assist and guide people through the guardianship process and help people look up legal resources. He will also refer people to clinics if they need further help.

Help Me Find a Utah Lawyer (by the Utah State Bar)

  • The "Help Me Find a Lawyer" link walks you through a series of questions to locate potential attorneys in Utah who practice the area of law in which you need assistance. These attorneys, however, will likely require some sort of payment. This link will be more helpful for those persons who need an attorney to represent them and have not found an attorney to do it for free. There is an option to search for attorneys who offer reduced rates if you qualify - click on “Qualify for Reduced Rates?” at the top of the page and input your household and income information to determine whether you qualify. 

Holy Cross Ministries Legal Immigration Program

  • 860 E. 4500 S., Suite 204, Salt Lake City
  • 801-261-3440

  • Services provided include the following: 

  • Holy Cross does not represent people in the services listed above, but rather it gives consultations and starts the process before referring clients to other organizations/attorneys. Also, people who come should already be in the process of removal proceedings. There are no income requirements for consultations, but Holy Cross typically accepts lower income people first. Most clients are below the 200% poverty line, and Holy Cross generally will not take anyone as clients in the 300%–400% poverty line. The poverty guidelines are available at Consultation fees are $50 unless the person was referred to them by a shelter; in that scenario, the fee is reduced to $20. Consultations are by appointment only. Call to schedule an appointment or see their website for a list of times to drop off a completed application.

Homeless Youth Legal Clinic

The services of this clinic are available to youth under the age of 23 who are experiencing homelessness. Eligible persons can email uinise.tu' or stop by their office M-F from 9-5. This clinic provides consultations, representation and education to help youth become independent. They can help individuals obtain and maintain employment and housing.

International Rescue Committee

  • 221 S. 400 W., Salt Lake City
  • Call 801-328-1091
  • This committee is comprised of certified immigration specialists who work with the Board of Immigration Appeals. They can help with citizenship, green cards, family petitions, or replacement of lost documents. They cannot help with non-immigrant visas (for example, student visas and employment visas) or deportation proceedings. Consultations are free; schedule an appointment by calling, texting, or emailing the contacts above. NOTE: This office may be closed due to COVID-19.

Landlord-Tenant Mediation Program

  • Matheson Courthouse, Third District Salt Lake
  • 801-214-3109 (Heather Lester)
  • Mediation services for landlord-tenant legal issues are provided on Mondays, Wednesdays, and Fridays at 1:30pm. Contact Heather Lester by phone (leaving only one message) or by email. This program does not resolve rent disputes or deal with rental assistance.  

Law and Entrepreneurship Clinic

  • BYU Law School
  • Brigham Young University's Law and Entrepreneurship Clinic, part of the BYU Law School, is a student-based, clinical program aimed to provide innovators and entrepreneurs with legal services. Under the supervision of clinical faculty and staff, law students work together to represent start-up companies, entrepreneurs, and nonprofit organizations. Clients range from brand-new initiatives where students help launch the business from a legal perspective to more established companies with more sophisticated legal needs. For specific types of assistance offered, visit the website. The Clinic accepts applications on an ongoing, rolling basis. However, the Clinic is only staffed and available to assist entrepreneurs from late August through mid-April. During the months that the Clinic is staffed, the client selection process is typically completed within two to three weeks of application receipt. All client selection decisions are subject to the Clinic staffing availability and are solely within the Clinic Director's discretion. To see the client-selection criteria and/or to fill out an application, visit the website.

Legal Aid Society of Salt Lake: Family Law

  • 960 South Main Street, Salt Lake City
  • 801-328-8849
  • This organization helps with family law cases for persons living in Salt Lake County. Domestic violence victims may receive assistance, regardless of income or citizenship status, by coming in person to any Legal Aid Society of Salt Lake satellite locations. To be eligible for other family law assistance, persons must be at or below 200% of the poverty guidelines (provided on the website and at, and fill out the online application. Persons representing themselves in a family law matter can also receive limited legal assistance with the Legal Aid Assisted Pro Se program; this program is free and is faster than applying for full representation with Legal Aid Society.

Legal Aid Society Virtual Family Law Clinic

Lawyers answer calls about family law, including divorce and custody. Lawyers give limited help with paperwork and give advice about filing. Appointment requests can be made at Appointments occur on Monday afternoons via phone call only. 

Legal Clinics, Agencies, and Organizations

  • This website is compiled and maintained by the Utah State Courts to give a list of legal clinics in the following areas: Brigham City, Farmington, Logan, Ogden, Park City, Provo, St. George, Salt Lake City, Salt Lake County, Utah County, Wasatch County, West Jordan, and statewide. The website also has a list of agencies and organizations that offer free or low-cost legal services.

Legal Clinic for the Deaf and Hard of Hearing

  • Brief advice available through 30-min appointments with Utah Legal Services. ASL interpreters provided. Clinic available only to those who qualify, eligibility forms must be filled out before getting an appointment. Held on the third Wednesday of every month from 3-5pm. Not held in July or December. Video phone number is: 801-657-5200. Regular phone number is: 801-657-5209. Email:

Low Income Taxpayer Clinic

  • This clinic is a free service sponsored by the Taxpayer Advocate Service. They offer education as well as advocate for low-income taxpayers in front of the IRS. Call 801-655-0258, email for more information or visit the IRS Utah LITC website. They have local offices in Salt Lake and Provo and are available virtually for anyone Statewide.
  • Provo Address: Centro Hispano, 650 W 100 N Provo UT 84601  
  • Salt Lake Address: The Leonardo (inside) 209 E 500 S Salt Lake City, UT 84111

Lutheran Family Services-Rocky Mountains (LFSRM)

  • Lutheran Family Services has an office in Salt Lake that offers immigration legal services. They offer a wide variety of services including consultations, adjustment of status, employment authorization, DACA renewals and more. To schedule an appointment or to ask questions call 801-290-2008 or email

National Center for Lesbian Rights

  • This is a national organization that may be able to offer services. They have a legal help hotline that individuals can call to get advice. Their website has several forms you can fill out pertaining to different legal issues to see what help is available. They have forms for custody disputes, separation or divorce, immigration or asylum or “other issue”.
  • The hotline is available M-F 9am-5pm Pacific Time. Call: 800-528-6257 or 415-392-6257.
  • Website:

No More A Stranger (NoMás)

  • Provides immigration services to help with naturalization, family sponsored visas, DACA and asylum. Appointments can be scheduled on their website. They have scheduling options for Logan and Salt Lake City.  

Pro Se Calendars

  • Utah Courts across the state offer Pro Se calendars. On these dates, volunteer attorneys are provided to help the parties reach an agreement. Judges and Commissioners are the ones who set these cases for the pro se calendars. Typically reserved for parties whose cases have stalled and where neither party is represented. The link below lists the courts that have these calendars and what cases they take: 

Rainbow Law: University of Utah Pro Bono Initiative

  • Part of the SJ Quinney Law School Pro Bono Initiative. Answers questions about LGBTQIA+ legal issues. Can answer questions on employment, name and gender marker changes, estate planning, and family law. This program takes place in-person at the Olpin Student Union on the 2nd Wednesday of each month. There are also limited online appointments, email See website for calendar and more information.

Refugee Justice League

  • This Salt Lake Charity defends refugees from discrimination. They offer legal consultations through attorneys from the Utah State Division of Refugee Services. To inquire about their services you can call 801-618-5096. They are located at the Utah Refugee Center and are open Monday through Saturday. 

Rocky Mountain Innocence Center (RMIC)

  • RMIC takes on cases of wrongfully convicted innocent people in Utah, Nevada and Wyoming. They have strict requirements for the kinds of cases that they take but are an option for those who have been wrongly convicted and are factually innocent. Their website can provide additional information:

Safe Harbor

  • Safe Harbor is a nonprofit organization in Davis County for survivors of domestic abuse, sexual assault, stalking or dating violence. This is an inclusive organization that welcomes people regardless of race, ethnicity, sexual orientation, gender identity, income or religious beliefs. They provide crisis support, residential services, outreach, support groups, children’s services, protective orders, therapy, forensic nurses and help for family/friends. Their website provides information on how to access theses services:  

Serving Our Seniors

  • Serving Our Seniors provides pro bono services to low-income senior citizens. Specifically, the program helps senior citizens prepare and execute critical estate planning documents, such as advanced health care directives and powers of attorney. The event is held multiple times throughout the year at senior centers around the state.

Small Claims Mediation

  • 801-369-0320
  • This clinic provides in-court mediation services for individuals involved in small claims disputes. It is a subset of the BYU Law Mediation Clinic. Call for more information.
  • The Utah Courts also have contact information for different county programs:


  • This is a free legal resource that is only available online. The automated software, similar to Turbo Tax, will help you safely and accurately prepare your response to being sued for a debt. It will ask you simple questions about your case. Based on your answers, it will prepare a response and instruct you on how to file it. 

St. George VA Clinic

  • St. George CBOC, 230 North 1680 East, Building N, St. George, Utah 84790
  • Brad Evans, VJO Specialist,
  • Types of Cases: Civil and Criminal
  • Walk-ins accepted 1st Wednesday of the month from 5:30 p.m. to 7:00 p.m.
  • 435-634-7608 (ext 1255 to get to Mental Health Clinic, which is the same location as the Veteran’s Legal Clinic, according to the receptionist)

Street Law: University of Utah Pro Bono Initiative

  • Horizonte School, in the cafeteria, 1234 South Main Street, Salt Lake City
  • This clinic is part of the SJ Quinney Law School Pro Bono Initiative. They can answer questions relating to housing issues (landlord/tenant disputes and eviction), employment (discrimination, termination and harassment), consumer, and small claims. They have two in-person locations, Columbus Center and at Horizonte, see their online calendar at the website below for dates of these clinics. They also have limited online appointments, email 

Talk to a Lawyer Clinic - Southern Utah Bar Association

  • Program offers free 15-minute consultations. Meetings are by appointment only and are for low-income Utahns. Individuals seeking help must qualify under Utah Legal Services’ guidelines. Call 800-662-4245 ext. 3662 for scheduling. To determine if you qualify before the appointment, go through the ULS intake process by phone or online. Clinic occurs every second Wednesday and every fourth Tuesday from 5-7pm. 

Thursday Night at the Bar - Logan

  • No appointment necessary. Spanish speakers are often available. For more information you may email Ken Allsop at
  • Held every second Thursday of the month from 5:30pm to 7:00pm.
  • The address is: Cache County Council Chamber (in the Historic Courthouse) 199 North Main Street, Logan, Utah 84321.

Timpanogos Legal Center (TLC)

  • Utah County Health and Justice Building Room 1601, 151 S. University Ave., Provo, Utah 84601

  • 801-851-8508


  • The TLC is a free walk-in clinic that is a part of the Utah County Family Justice Center (FJC) and is composed of volunteer attorneys and law students. There is also a Zoom version of this clinic that happens at the same time. The center provides services for divorce, custody, or family law related issues; immigration; housing; and elder law. Clients are helped on a first-come-first-served basis. No appointment is necessary. Immigration questions can only be taken on the first, second, and third Tuesdays of the month. The Family Justice Center offers services from Community Action Services and Food Bank, Provo City Housing Authority, Victim Advocates, Division of Child and Family Services, Wasatch Behavioral Health, The Refuge, and Community Health Connect. The center prefers that new clients come in person to the center, as opposed to contacting the center by phone. The center is open every Tuesday night from 5:00pm–8:00pm, except the week of Thanksgiving and the week between Christmas and New Year's Day. To be eligible to utilize the center's services, your income must be below 200% of the federal poverty guidelines, or you must be a victim of domestic violence or have children who are victims of abuse. (The guidelines are available at

Timpanogos Legal Center (TLC) Document Review Clinic

  • 801-649-8895 Call this Hotline between 9:00am and 2:00pm to get legal advice and assistance in applying for the document clinic.

  • Send an email to or requesting intake forms to see if you are eligible for the document clinic.

  • The TLC document clinic provides assistance (by appointment only) for drafting documents for qualifying self-represented clients. You may either fill out intake forms after they are emailed to you or receive help filling them out on Tuesdays from 5:00pm–8:00pm at the Family Justice Center, located at the Utah County Health and Justice Building.

  • The requirements for receiving assistance are: 

    • the legal issue must relate to family law;

    • you must be representing yourself in court (you don't have an attorney); 

    • you must meet our income/screening guidelines,

    • you must fill out the intake form to  be screened to see if your case is something we can assist with (you can either call our hotline or attend our weekly clinic);

  • After the intake forms are sent to the TLC, a response is sent informing you as to whether or not you have been approved to receive assistance. Approved clients will have a virtual meeting set up with an attorney who can assist in drafting court documents.

Timpanogos Legal Center - Legal Help Hotline

  • This free hotline, sponsored by TLC, gives free legal advice on all Family Law issues.
  • The line is available for individuals statewide, Monday through Friday from 9am-2pm.
  • The phone number is 801-649-8895.

Legal Night (Brigham City) (formerly Tuesday Night Bar)

  • New Hope Crisis Center, 435 E. 700 S., Brigham City
  • 435-723-5600
  • This event is held on the second Wednesday of every month from 6:30pm to 8:30pm at the New Hope Crisis Center. It is advisable to call beforehand to set up an appointment. Spanish-speakers are available.

Tuesday Night Bar (Park City)

  • Young Lawyers Division of the Utah State Bar, Park City Library, 1255 Park Ave., Park City
  • 435-615-5600 (phone number for the Park City Library)
  • This event is held on the first Tuesday of every month starting at 6:00pm at the Park City Library. It is first-come, first-serve, and therefore it is advised that any participants arrive before 6:00pm in order to be put on the waiting list to meet with an attorney. Participants should come to the library and give their name to the librarian in order to be seen at the clinic.

Virtual Legal Clinic

  • 801-297-7049
  • The Virtual Legal Clinic is a free, over-the-phone legal service sponsored by the Utah State Bar. This clinic replaced the Tuesday Night Bar in Salt Lake City, which is no longer operating. Through VLC, you can connect with a volunteer lawyer by phone or email for up to 30 minutes about your legal issue. It is important to note that the volunteer lawyer only offers legal information and brief advice and will not provide ongoing representation.

Utah County Family Justice Center (FJC)

  • Utah County Health & Justice Building, 151 S. University Ave., Provo, Room 1600
  • 801-851-8508
  • The FJC is a free walk-in clinic comprised of volunteer attorneys and law students. The clinic is open every Tuesday night from 5:00pm–8:00pm. No appointment is needed. Bring any relevant court documents with you, and be prepared for a wait. The FJC primarily handles family law issues, but it also works with elder law topics and answers basic questions regarding low-income housing. Immigration help is also available during the first and third Tuesdays of every month. The Family Justice Center offers services from the Department of Workforce Services, Community Action Services and Food Bank, Provo City Housing Authority, Victim Advocates, Utah Legal Services, Division of Child and Family Services, and Wasatch Behavioral Health, The Refuge, and Community Health Connect. (Other useful resources can be found on the FJC's website.) To be eligible, your income must be below 200% of the federal poverty guidelines, which are available at

Utah Court's Online Court Assistance Program (OCAP)

  • The Utah Online Court Assistance Program (OCAP) is the official State of Utah website for assistance in preparing court documents if you are not able to have an attorney draft them for you. You may use this program for free. If you file OCAP documents on a case requiring a filing fee, a $20.00 document preparation fee will be added to the court filing fees. This program is a service of the Utah Courts and State Legislature. The types of cases available using OCAP are: domestic cases, enforcing domestic orders, guardian and conservatorship, garnishment, protective/stalking orders, landlords and tenants, and small claims. 

Utah Dispute Resolution

  • Law and Justice Center, 645 S. 200 E., Salt Lake City
  • 801-532-4841 (Toll Free 877-697-7175)

  • Text number: 801-349-1273

  • This program provides mediation services for free or at a low cost. It does not provide legal services. Types of disputes for which mediation services may be available include the following: neighbor relationships, landlord-tenant, school relationships, business, workplace, consumer and merchant, and family and interpersonal. Types of services offered by this program: mediation, phone mediation, bilingual services (Spanish), facilitation, and training.

Utah Domestic Violence Coalition

  • 1-800-897-5465 (phone number for the Utah Domestic Violence LINKLine)
  • The website lists phone numbers, websites, and resources for getting help.

Utah Estate Planning

  • A resource about Utah estate planning.

Utah Estate Planning and Probate Laws

  • These websites, created and maintained by the Utah State Courts, list some Utah laws about small estate planning and probate.

Utah Free Legal Answers

  • Individuals must first fill out a form to determine whether they qualify to use this service. If they qualify, users are allowed to ask attorneys questions about their civil legal questions (no criminal matters). Questions are answered by pro bono attorneys in Utah. The service helps with questions in: family law, housing, eviction, homelessness, consumer rights, financial, employment, health/disability, civil rights, juvenile and education law. This program is sponsored by the American Bar Association’s committee on pro bono and public service.

Utah Landlord-Tenant Laws

Utah Landlord Tenant Law

  • This website breaks down Utah landlord tenant law into plain English for new renters. The website intends to update and expand the information regularly.

Utah Legal Help

  • This website provides pro se members of the public with resources for finding an attorney and legal assistance for free, at reduced cost, and also provides do-it-yourself resources. 

Utah Legal Services (ULS)

  • Utah Legal Services provides legal help to those who qualify in non-criminal cases. They answer questions, give advice, prepare legal documents and represent clients in court and before administrative agencies. They cannot assist in any criminal matters. They have offices all over the state. Currently, they can help with the following issues: family law, public benefits assistance, housing, consumer issues, seniors, agricultural workers, Native American Indian Law, bankruptcy, QDROs and guardianship. You can apply online or call the phone number for the office. They work primarily remotely, so call to schedule an appointment. Check their website for updates. 
  • Utah Legal Services - St George Office
    • Address:  229 E. St George Blvd, Ste. 103, St George, UT 84770 (get Directions)
    • Phone:  (435) 628-1604
  • Utah Legal Services - Provo Office
    • Address:  455 N University Ave, Ste. 100, Provo, UT 84601 (get Directions}
    • Phone:  (801) 374-6766
  • Utah Legal Services - Ogden Office
    • Address:  298 24th St, Ste. 110, Ogden, UT 84401 (get Directions)
    • Phone:  (801) 394-9431
  • Utah Legal Services - SLC Office
    • Address:  960 S Main St, Salt Lake City, UT 84101-2923 (get Directions)
    • Phone:  (801) 328-8891

Utah Marriage and Divorce Laws

  • This PDF is maintained and updated yearly by BYU Law librarians. It contains a summary of current Utah domestic relations law. Current legal forms and sample filing documents are included in the Appendix. It was last updated in Fall 2022.

Utah Renter's Handbook

  • This hyperlink is to a PDF containing information about Utah housing, as well as landlord-tenant legal issues.

Utah Self-Help Center (SHC) (Lawyer of the Day)

  • 888-683-0009 (Note: The phone line is very busy.)
  • Text: 801-SHC-1TXT (801-742-1898)
  • The SHC provides free legal help to people who do not have a lawyer by providing information to help you understand your rights and responsibilities and to help you resolve your legal problems on your own if you cannot afford an attorney. The SHC cannot give you legal advice or represent you in court. The SHC attorney is not your lawyer. The SHC staff attorneys can: provide court forms and instructions and help you complete the forms; provide information about your case; provide information about mediation services, legal advice, and representation through pro bono and low cost legal services, legal aid programs, and lawyer referral services; and provide information about resources provided by law libraries. If you have legal questions, the SHC can transfer you to an on-call lawyer, a "lawyer of the day," who will provide a free 15–20-minute consultation and answer any legal questions you may have within that lawyer's expertise. Open Hours: Monday through Friday from 11:00am–5:00pm. You can contact the SHC by phone (Note: The phone line is very busy.), email, or text.

Utah State Bar

  • This website is the main website for the Utah State Bar, which is the organization that governs the attorneys in Utah. There is a "Public Services" section on the main page (under the “For the Public” tab on the top of the page) that may have resources or answers to your questions.

Utah State Bar Modest Means Referral Program

  • 801-297-7049 (Generally, someone is available from 8:00am–5:00pm to answer any questions over the phone about how the program works.)
  • As part of the Bar’s Affordable Attorneys for All initiative, the Modest Means Lawyer Referral program helps Utahns with modest earnings find a lawyer offering discounted rates to match their incomes. The Utah State Bar's Modest Means Lawyer Referral Program provides access to legal representation for people whose income is too high to qualify for free legal services, but too low to pay a lawyer's standard rate. In order to qualify you must fall below the income guidelines. If you qualify, you will be referred to a lawyer who charges up to $50 or $75 an hour, or a corresponding flat fee. Hourly or flat-fee services often require advance payment (a retainer).  The application is separated into two parts: 1st to see if you qualify and 2nd for questions about you and your situation (there is a $25 non-refundable administrative fee. Payment for this online purchase must be made using VISA or MASTERCARD.).

Utah State Courts

  • This website is the main website for the Utah state courts. It also has a "Self Help" section that you can access from the home page that may give you resources or answers to questions that you may have.


  • U@E is a referral program. The veteran must be referred by either a VSO or a judge advocate. U@E does not provide legal advice or services. Instead, U@E finds volunteer attorneys who are willing to help qualified veterans and servicemembers with Utah legal matters regarding SCRA, USERRA, Landlord, Debt, Consumer Fraud, Predatory Lending, Immigration, Wills, and Trusts, except where the opposing party is the Fed, State, County, or City. Therefore, criminal, family law, personal injury, and legal matters against a State or USA, among others, are not covered.
  • SEND AN EMAIL to in order to receive a Veteran Intake form and Veteran Acknowledgement form. Then the veteran must contact their VSO (or JA if still in uniform) who will ask the veteran to complete the Veteran Intake form, Veteran Acknowledgement form, and provide a digital copy of the DD214 before that VSO or JA contacts U@E.
  • Contact information of those who can refer:
    • American Legion 801-326-2471
    • DAV 801-326-2375
    • University Veteran Centers
    • Utah Veterans’ Affairs 801-326-2372
    • VA Vet Center SLC 801-266-1499
    • VA Vet Center Provo 801-377-1117
    • VA Vet Center Ogden 801-737-9737
    • VA Vet Center St George 435-673-4494
    • VFW 801-326-2385
  • Referrals, screening, and placement take time. U@E is not appropriate for “emergency” legal services. After the veteran is 1) referred, 2) the Vet Intake form, Veteran Acknowledgement form, and DD214 are submitted, and 3) the veteran is determined to be eligible, many weeks pass, typically, before a veteran is represented, if at all.

  • Once a veteran has been on the “Ready List” for 180 days without being accepted by a U@E Attorney, the veteran is removed from U@E and is advised to hire counsel. Some cases are never accepted because the legal issue is not practiced by any of the volunteer attorneys. Sometimes the legal issue will take more hours than the volunteer is willing to give.

  • If the veteran’s legal issue is an emergency, consider hiring counsel directly or by visiting

  • Visit for details.

VA Salt Lake City Healthcare System

  • George E. Wahlen Department of Veterans Affairs Medical Center, 500 Foothill Boulevard, Salt Lake City, Utah 84148
  • Types of Cases: Civil and Criminal
  • The VA is unable to provide legal assistance, so they have partnered with volunteer attorneys who provide a free monthly legal clinic for Veterans. The clinic is held the second Thursday of each month (except December) from 5:30 p.m. to 7:00 p.m. in Building 16 lobby of the VA Medical Center. This gives veterans an opportunity to speak to an attorney, free of charge, to get some direction on their legal matter. No appointment needed. 

Veterans Legal Site: University of Utah Pro Bono Initiative

  • Part of the SJ Quinney Law School Pro Bono Initiative. Answers questions about issues facing veterans, including criminal, family, landlord/tenant, disability and VA administrative law. There is an in-person clinic that usually occurs on the second Thursday of the month. More information can be found on their website. 

Westminster Pro Bono Tax Clinic

  • Westminster College, 2001 S. State Street, Salt Lake City, North Building Atrium
  • 801-210-8291
  • The hours of this clinic are Monday through Thursday 4:30pm to 9:00pm and Saturdays 10:00am to 6:00pm. At this time, the Westminster Tax Clinic does not anticipate allowing any walk-ins, given the current COVID-19 situation. However, this may change, so please contact the clinic directly if you have any questions. This clinic helps prepare taxes (unlike the Low Income Taxpayer Clinic), but it does not represent people who have conflicts with the IRS (whereas the Low Income Taxpayer Clinic does). There is no income limit. The premises are under construction until September 2023. The clinic offers tax filing for any members of the community and volunteering opportunities.

Wills for Heros

  • Wills for Heroes is a service project that provides free wills, living wills, and healthcare and financial powers of attorney to first responders (police, firefighters, paramedics, etc.) and their spouses or partners. These one-day events are held every other month at a first responder department or agency in Utah.

  • This website provides legal information for victims by state, and the Utah page may have useful information. 


© 2012-2017+. All rights reserved. | Provo, UT 84602 | 801-422-3593